Friday, July 24, 2009

Resilience

I started Elizabeth Edward's new book last night. I had watched her interview on Oprah and I was impressed with her honesty. I did not have that same positive reaction when Oprah talked to her husband. Halfway through her book, she has mentioned "the affair" only a few times. Mrs. Edwards lets us know she is still grieving for her son who died in 1996. I don't judge her for this but that's what her first book was about. I have lost both of my parents. I have not lost a child. Also, I don't mean to sound condescending but I feel she is using her family's wealth to advertise her grief. She was a lawyer and she stopped being a lawyer right after his death. For years, she admits, her focus in life revolved around her dead child and keeping his memory alive. Ordinarily, life is not that easy. There are house payments, credit cards, and utility bills to pay. She had the luxury to stay at home and have two more children late in life to fill her home with laughter. Can you really replace one child with another? As far as the book, I am perplexed that it is so similar to the first one or maybe Mrs. Edwards finds it's just easier to write about her dead son rather than a "straying" husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment