Monday, June 4, 2012

german potato salad


I used my new Maytag gas stove for the first time on Saturday. I fried bacon for German potato salad. Mama taught me to flour the bacon first before putting into the skillet, I'm a messy cook anyway! Here's the recipe:

GERMAN POTATO SALAD

6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 strips of bacon
2 tablespoons flour
3 green onions, chopped ( I add more)
4 radishes, sliced
I/2 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste
(I also add some celery seed although the recipe does not call for it)

Boil the potatoes, drain and cool. Fry bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside. Add to bacon drippings: flour, water, vinegar and sugar. Cook over medium heat and stir until sugar turns clear. In a large bowl, add liquid to potatoes, bacon, onions and radishes. Can be served hot or cold.
This recipe reminds me of my father who always liked it and had quite an aversion to the mayonnaise/mustard kind of potato salad. He also had the same hair line as Mitt Romney but please don't hold that against him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment